Visual Studies Call for Cover Image: Against Racism
The Visual Studies Editorial Team, and the International Visual Sociology Association, strongly condemns and opposes systems, institutions, and organisations that maintain or extend any and all forms of white supremacy and colonial and racist violence. As part of our commitment to take action, we are calling for cover image submissions on the theme of Anti-Racism. One image will be selected to feature on the cover of the next issue of Visual Studies, and we will showcase other images submitted on the IVSA’s website.
The deadline for submissions is July 1, 2020. Please submit cover images to email@example.com.
The Cover Image
Cover images for Visual Studies should be accompanied by a short text that informs the viewer about the image’s personal, social, and/or political resonance to the one who made it, or who chose to display it. The text should be no less than 200 words, and no more than 600. Because the length of the narrative will depend on the space that will be available for any particular issue on the inside front cover, the writer may be asked to edit the text to fit that space. Cover images are subject to internal review by the Editorial Board.
- For Cover Images, images should be portrait orientation only.
- All image files should be high resolution (at least 300dpi, and preferably 600dpi).
- Acceptable file formats include jpeg, tiff and png.
- If your image files are too large to upload, you should include a link to your downloadable high resolution image(s) in the body of your text.
- Please include an image caption, which gives the place (where relevant) and date that the image was created. If the image has a title, please include this.
- You must have copyright permission for Visual Studies to reproduce your image(s). If the copyright resides with another, please attribute this in your image caption(s).
IVSA position statement
Please also read the IVSA Position Statement on Government-Sanctioned and Systemic Racial Violence.