ANNOUNCEMENT: IVSA ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING OF MEMBERSHIP
IVSA AGM Thursday, 23 July, 2020
What a year this has been. And we’re just barely past the halfway mark! Time likely feels very weird right now. Yet no matter how strange its current behavior (or rather, our perception of its behavior), there’s no question that it’s doing what it’s always done: passing. It’s also still doing its main job of preventing everything from happening all at once, but that’s another discussion for another … time.
At this moment, absent the present circumstances, more than 200 of us would be convening together in Dublin for the annual conference of the IVSA, the intellectual home that many of us have chosen. Of course, these times are extraordinary, and so we do what humans typically do. We adapt.
As many of you know, on the final day of each year’s conference, we customarily hold the annual general meeting (AGM), known more casually as “the business meeting.” This is the meeting in which the IVSA Board of Directors meets with all active members who choose to attend. Over a box lunch, we typically discuss the previous year’s activities and events, the organization’s present and predicted health (financial and otherwise), strategic decisions and directions, and so forth.
Since we can’t hold the AGM in person this year, we have decided to host the meeting online, via Zoom. All active members of the IVSA are invited to join us to discuss the life of the IVSA. We’ve tried to find a time that will work with most time zones, but we will record the meeting and make it available to everyone in the “Members Area” of our website. All members in good standing are welcome to attend the AGM. So please be sure that your membership dues are paid in full so that you can attend the AGM and continue to support the IVSA.
The 2020 AGM will be held on 23 July from 10 am to 11:30 am CDT (UTC-5). Go here if you want to convert this time to your time zone.
A rough draft of the meeting agenda appears below. On July 22, all active members in good standing will receive an email with the Zoom link to the virtual AGM. We look forward to seeing you!
—Greg Scott, IVSA President
IVSA 2020 AGM AGENDA
- Approve minutes of 2019 business meeting
- Brief introduction of all Board Members and Board Members-Elect
- 2019 Election Results
- Acknowledging Board Members at the end of their terms
- Upcoming elections (late autumn 2020)
- New Technology Advisor — report
- Newly re-appointed Graduate Student Representative
- Report from Graduate Student Representative on Early Career Scholars Advisory Committee
- Rieger and Prosser Award Winners
- Report from Visual Archivist of IVSA
- Statement of Mission, Vision, and Values (2019-2020) – report from committee
- Bylaws – forthcoming proposal for additional changes to bylaws (2020)
- Financial report from Treasurer
- Equality and Diversity Report
- Changes to Visual Studies editorial staffing structure
- Report from Visual Studies editorial team representative
- Travel grant program review/reminder
- Proposals to host future conferences
- 2021 annual conference announcement (#ivsa2021)
- Inauguration of new Board Members
- Q&A with members