Visual Studies is a is a leading international peer-reviewed journal published on behalf of the International Visual Sociology Association. The journal publishes visually-oriented articles across a range of disciplines, and represents a long-standing commitment to empirical visual research, studies of visual and material culture, the development of visual research methods and the exploration of visual means of communication about social and cultural worlds. Visual Studies is a key resource for all disciplines that engage with images, society and culture, and aims to set the standard for the scholarly use of visual material.
The multidisciplinary character of the journal is reflected in its attention to visually-based research in sociology, anthropology, cultural and media studies, documentary film and photography, information technology, education, communication studies, art history and visual culture, as well as other fields concerned with image-based study.
The aims of Visual Studies are to:
- Provide an international forum for the development of visual research.
- Provoke discussion of a wide range of methods, approaches, theories and paradigms that constitute image-based research.
- Reduce the disparity in emphasis between visual and written studies in scholarly research.
- Enhance the development of visual research methodologies in all their various forms.
- Encourage research that employs a mixture of visual methods, theoretical insights, and analytical approaches.
- Critically reflect and contribute to the dialogue surrounding ‘the visual’ across the social sciences, humanities, and visual arts.
- Provide an arena for in-depth and creative exploration of various approaches, particular methods, theories and visual phenomena.
Most articles published in the journal are accompanied by appropriate visual material, and the journal encourages visually-led submissions.
IVSA members receive a one-year subscription to Visual Studies as part of their membership. This one year subscription contains five issues of the journal, beginning with the first issue published after membership is initiated or renewed. Other methods of subscribing to the journal can be found on the Visual Studies website. You can also visit the journal’s website to:
- Find out about submitting your research
- Request a free sample copy
- Read about recent and forthcoming articles
- Register to receive table of contents alerts, to ensure you are notified of the new research published in the journal
If you have any questions about submitting your article, please check the “Instructions for Authors” section of the Visual Studies website.